I am a Thai person living in Pattaya, foreigners (Farang aka westerners) complain that they are treated unfairly by Thai people.
But I wanted to share 10 points of view/questions because there are pros and cons for foreigners in Thailand.
- When I go shopping at Makro, I am told that I need an account when a “farang” person has no account, the cashiers go get a card that they use to swipe. I asked them why special allowances? Because our staff don’t speak English.
- I go into shops and the staff are less helpful, why do they always go to foreigners first?
- I see police waving farang off because they simply cannot communicate
- I see Thais being much more friendly and helpful towards farang.
- Why do I get my bag taken from me when I am shopping and farang are ignored?
- Why does our condo security let farang in the building without checks, but all the Thais get checked?
- Why does it seem the farang around me are more trusted than other Thais?
- Why does everyone think farang are rich and let them run up large bills?
- Why do the police care more about crimes against foreigners but when a Thai person has a problem, they don’t do much?
- I see farang get better service and more welcomed at many places a lot more than Thai people, is this an expectation that they will simply spend more?
I am not complaining, I think its good for tourists but I want “farang” to remember that they don’t have a bad deal in Thailand, not from my perspective.
I feel like a 2nd class citizen living in a tourist town.
Next time someone says to you that Thai people do not want you here, think about what I just said please.